RE: Low oil pressure after rebuild

To: "'dennis'" <mg-dennis@mindspring.com>,
Subject: RE: Low oil pressure after rebuild
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:32:15 -0700
Dennis:
        One possibility comes to mind from personal experience.

        The lower gasket kit comes with two oil pump gaskets.  3 Main engine
and 5 main engine.  A common mistake is to use the earlier gasket on the 5
main oil pump.  If the engine is assembled upside down the gasket looks fine
on the block.  What you don't see is that the 5M oil pump has a larger port
than the 3M pump.  The misaligned gasket allows pressurized oil to spray out
of the gap, lowering oil pressure.

        See if you have a left over 3 bolt gasket from your set.  If you do
have the left over gasket and access to a fax machine, I can fax you a
picture of the correct gasket.

        I managed to do this on a 68 MGB rebuild.  It took me about 5 hours
to pull the motor back out, switch the gasket and reinstall.  That is an
indication of how mad I was at myself.

Good luck

Kelvin.

  This last weekend when we started
> it for the first time it only showed 20 lbs of oil pressure and after
> about 10 minutes of running it went down to about 15 lbs. We shut it
> off.  At this point I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing it.  I
> suggested pulling the engine and start dissecting it to find
> the fault.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list