Re: Just the LBC question?

To: tcbump@fdn.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Just the LBC question?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:26:11 EDT
In a message dated 09/14/2001 10:10:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tcbump@fdn.com writes:

> Now to the question.   I recently acquired a 1962 MGB (#656).  It has been
> changed to a single 12 volt battery but is still wired positive ground.  I
> have read about how to convert it but I have this question.  Radios?  It
> appears they were optional in 1962 but assuming they were positive ground
> where can you find one?  Or is there some kind of converter you can put on a
> negative ground radio to make it work?

- - - - - - - - - - -

If you can find a working, pos ground, original radio, there is no adapter to
make it neg ground.  It must be connected neg to neg and pos to pos.  You can
use it on a neg earth car but it is a little tricky.  Normally the pos
connection will simply be grounded to the chassis of the car, so you must
insulate all metal mounting points of the radio from touching anything metal
in the car.  Connect the negative side to a good ground in the car and the
positive side, which is the chassis of the radio, to the fuse block, which
will be pos after you convert the car to neg earth.  Is that clear????!!!!

Anyway, a better (but much more expensive) solution is to find ANY original
radio, working or not, and send it to one of those companies that replaces
the guts with a modern radio using the original controls and case.  I haven't
done this, but it sounds like a cool idea.  You can even add a CD player in
the boot.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget