Re: question about burnt wires

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: question about burnt wires
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:37:37 -0700
Hmm, I'm not sure you can change the carburetor. As a 1979 model you still
have to pass smog in California, so I'm not sure you can get away with
changing anything.

I don't think they give a hoot about the engine number, however. They will
check for smog equipment as per the registered year of the car (1979). That
probably means you are limited to an engine from 1977-80. It's not that you
couldn't use an earlier block, but if you want a complete drop-in motor you
should try to get one from the right years, to avoid hassles with
retrofitting multiple small items here and there, or possibly not passing
smog. If, on inspection, your current head checks out OK, and your carb is
in good shape, you might consider just obtaining a short block, if you can
find one, to save money.

Since your fire was incendiary in nature, as opposed to electrical, I
wouldn't think that any electrical parts were necessarily damaged, beyond
what is obviously burned. Did any of the fuses blow?

Definitely count on changing all the clutch components (disk, pressure
plate, throw-out bearing) when you change engines. It's false economy not to
renew them all when you have the chance.

Cheers

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149