Re: Engine Stand Redux...

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Stand Redux...
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@zoominternet.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:57:02 -0400
Dan DiBiase wrote:

> ... engine stands and what to look for, etc. I'd appreciate a little advice
> now, since I'm
> looking around at them...
>
> 1)I do recall some discussion on the difficulties of mounting a B engine
> on the standard bolt pattern that they seem to come with...?

Not difficult at all, but I can't remember the bolt thread or length needed for
the B engine.

> 2)Wondering if the 750-lb model is okay, or should I go for a 1000-lb model?

The 750 lb model is adequate for MGA or MGB. I even rebuilt a Healey BJ8 engine
on it without incident. Not easy to turn however. The MG engines are no problem
to turn.

> 3) Vendors? Need a 'budget' one, but don't want a 'cheap' one... I checked
> out Harbor Freight and JC Whitney so far, they seem comparable...

I bought mine from Harbor Freight and rebuilt some 18 engines on it, and it is
still as new, although a bit dirty.

Jim
microdoc@zoominternet.net
1999 BMW R1100RT Very Black... of course
BMW MOA #89329, BMW RA #25289, IBMWR
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Avant Very Silver
1960 MGA 1600 Very Red
1974 MGB-GT Damask (Very Burgundy) Red
1972 Suzuki TS185 Dual Sport, Very sort of orange. For Sale

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///