Re: Winter Storage Opinions

To: AGreenberg@aol.com, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Winter Storage Opinions
From: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 17:25:16 -0300
    Watch the trickle charge on the battery.  You can  boil off all
of the electrolyte if you are not careful.   There is a
school of thought that says to just remove the battery and
keep it in a warm dry (off of cement floors) place.  This way any
residual moisture from rain/snow/ice melting will not work
on your battery cables and cause corrosion, and you have a
fresh battery in the spring.  Do charge up the battery on
occasion if you take out.

     However, there was one person who suggested that you look for
a storage locker or equivalent.  I believe that he is right-on.
Southern Connecticut can get heavy wet snow and ice (and lots of it)
and you would not want to see any damage to your interior if the
top fails.  I grew up in Naugatuck (home of the Nauga and
Naugahyde) so I know about S. Conn snow and ice.

     BTW before you put the MG away for the winter, make sure that you
take it on one spirited drive.  My suggestion is that you  hop
on I-84 towards Cheshire and stop at Blackies Hot Dogs (Exit 26 for Rt-70?,
take a left at
the end of the exit)) for lunch.  Incredible dogs, and ESPECIALLY the home-made
Hot Relish.  The only place in the world where you can get it.  Secret receipe.
Been in the famnily  since 1928.

     Good luck,

             Gene Balinski
  (Displaced Conn Yankee, and driver of an 80 B)

At 10:03 AM 10/5/01 EDT, AGreenberg@aol.com wrote:
>Hey Gang,
>
>I've started to at least think about winter storage as sad as that might be
especially after my Southbury,CT to Poughkeepsie,NY commute this morning.
But I digress...

>I've so I was thinking that I'd do the following, please let me know if
there is anything I've missed or am off base with.

>>Fill the tank to the top, put in stabilizer, run it for 10 15 minutes.
>>Park it on Wood to keep it off the wet ground. (No garage available)
>>Squirt a little oil in the cylinders.
>>Put the battery on a low trickle charge.
>>Sprinkle mouse/rat poisen in the engine compartment, trunk and maybe
passenger.
>>Windows up, hood up.
>>Top it off with a breathable cover. ( recommendations?)
>
>Is there something I missed or got wrong? Any other ideas?
>

>Best Regards All,
>
>Alex
>

>Member:  Connecticut MG Club
>
> 1976  MBG fair weather Daily Driver.  "Junior"
> 1993  Subaru Legacy LE - painfully reliable automobile
> 1974  Ducati 750GT - exquisitely beautiful Motorcycle

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///