Last question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Last question
From: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 03:19:21 +0000
Hi,

I'm going to replace my voltmeter tomorrow so I can test each component in
the charging system.  Looking at John Twists's book, he says that I should
get 14+ volts at the battery and at the back of the alternator.

So, to test out my theory about the warning bulb being the culprit, I figure
that if I put the voltmeter on the battery it should show 12 volts or maybe
a bit less, (since it's not being charged).  If I put it on the alternator
it should show 14+, ergo it's somthing in between, (like the bulb) that's
keeping the battery from charging.

Here's my question: John Twist's book does not say which wire on the back of
the alternator to test.  My choices are fat brown, thin brown, and thin
brown/yellow.  Could anybody on the list that's done this let me know?

Thanks in advance,

Scott