RE: 80mgb, wiring problem

To: "gbsnider" <gbsnider@msn.com>, "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 80mgb, wiring problem
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 06:51:43 -0500
I just went through this same problem on the 80 B I just bought, only my
problem was intermittent.  When fist started the gauges and cooling fan
would work for a while (the fan is connected direct so it runs all the time,
another problem I need to fix), but then everything cut out after a bit.
They would also cut out if I turned on the turn signals or wipers.  Testing
showed there was no power coming to the third fuse when everything stopped.
After spending some time with the schematic, I changed the ignition relay,
now every thing works as it's supposed to.  I guess the old relay was
corroded enough that when a full load was put on it just dropped out of the
circuit.

Now for a question, the relay I replaced was a round black relay with one
tab for fastening it to the fender well.  The one I replaced it with came
off my 74 B and is rectangular and has 2 tabs for fastening it to the fender
well.  The rectangular one is physically larger than the round one.  Does
anyone know if it has a higher amperage capacity, or are they the same?
There is a lot run through this relay, so the current drain could get pretty
high with everything running.

Thanks,

Ken
80 B (getting painted this week in preparation for the trip to Rendezvous
2001)
74 B (interrupted total restoration)
74 Midget
66 MG 1100 (next to get running hopefully in time for Rendezvous 2001)
71 TR6
74 B parts car

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list