Re: antivirus warning

To: Rick Brown <mgrick@mgcars.org.uk>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: antivirus warning
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 17:33:37 -0600
At 05:53 PM 10/12/2001 -0400, Rick Brown wrote:
>Are you sure this is not a Windows system file?  I have it on my
>computer = says it was last modified in April 99 and it is an ISDN
>Configuration wiz
>I deleted the file with this name which I received last night on email
>when Norton found it was virus infected.  The file now in my system file
>does not set Norton off.
>
>Rick

Since I was positive that this file was a virus (I have had it sent to me
on several occasions but Norton flagged it each time), I searched my dual
boot system at work and could not find this file at all. NT4 & Win2k.

Then I did a quick search on cfgwiz32 and find that I am correct that it is
a virus - BUT the "real" file can also exist in the Windows directory. The
virus copies it, takes its place, and then is put in the startup. A couple
of links:

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99040&;
http://www.ntsecurity.net/Panda/Index.cfm?FuseAction=Virus&VirusID=407

Since I've been fairly active on the Internet for about 8 years and at this
same email address for six years, I manage to receive just about every
virus out there from people I don't even know. I'm still getting SirCam
virus attachments a few times a week and the sexyfun one intermittently.
But only as attachments - I have never actually gotten a computer virus
because I never execute attachments if I don't know what they are.

David

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///