Re: Help needed with determining VIN

To: "Roe" <proe@suffolk.lib.ny.us>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help needed with determining VIN
From: "Doug Wilson" <wilsondf@home.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:51:04 -0400
Phil,
I would be very suspicious of a car with the VIN removed. Where I live it is
a criminal offence to have an altered or removed VIN vehicle in your
possession! Can you get your Dep't of Motor Vehicles to search the VIN on
the paper work you got from the seller? You might be able to contact the
previous owner to ensure that you are talking about the same car and that it
is not stolen.
I'd do this before you put any money into this car.
There are some MG's with hidden VINs.(I found one on a '76 ) You'd have to
contact a Auto Theft Investigator of a major insurance company or a local
law enforcement agency for help there though.
I had one of my cars stolen once.
It was never recovered.
I mark my MG now in "secret" spots to help identify it if it ever gets
ripped off.
Good Luck.
Doug, Ottawa, Canada.

///