Re: Turbo article

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turbo article
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:30:07 -0400
> Here is an interesting article on turbo charging.  It isn't written with
> LBCs in mind, but the basics should be the same.  I got bored
> reading it, but some of you gearheads will enjoy it!  :-P

Interesting, but I dare say that a turbo engineering at Honeywell has many
advantages over designing a system for his car than us LBC owners (things
like CFD software, engine modelling, lots of dyno time...).  I bet it all
started out as an R&D project :P

It is a very nice installation.  I still tend to favour superchargers, at
least until Aerocharger's VATN turbo finds its way into the market some more
and its reliability and durability is proven.  The owner and engineer of
that car, in that article, refered to centrifugal superchargers quite a bit
when talking about midrange torque.  An Eaton or Lysholm compressor will
give you gobs of torque right through to your redline, mainly because they
aren't dependant on using a turbine to generate boost... and thus don't need
to have thier turbines spinning at 125,00RPM to achieve the same results a
turbo or centrifugal supercharger does.

He gives some real world reasons for using a turbo, the idea of dashboard
adjustable boost control is nice.  But you can go about that in other ways,
with superchargers, such as retarding the timing from the cockpit with
devises which enable you to do that.  And also, why would anyone purposely
fill up with cheap gas?  ;-)

I think for LBC engines, where we're limited to our 5500-6000RPM redlines
(for most of our cars) supercharging is still the best route.  Power
delivery is more consistent through the RPM band as well, which results in
better drivability and more useable power.

Which is easier to design and install?  I don't agree with the article on
this, whether you choose to do a custom supercharger or turbocharger
installation you're still going to be putting tremendous time and money into
the project.  I think what will determine which is easier, is the car
(engine) you choose, and the layout of the engine bay... space is going to
dictate where you put components such as intercoolers or on which side of
the motor to put the supercharger.

If you're really interested in going nutty with forced induction and your
LBC, check out this... www.buildsoft.com.au/tr2 a Turbocharged TR2.  I do
not doubt their claim of 250hp... the thing is absolutely devilish, not to
mention it probably cost about $65,000 USD to make ($2500 for that
crankshaft alone!).

Lee Janssen is busy turbocharging his TR6 over on the Triumphs list, using a
Garrett T3 on his PI TR6.  I just sold my TR6 supercharger kit, mainly
because it was so restrictive in what I could do with it... there was no way
to add an intercooler.  I was pretty much left with using the carburettor
manifold, and feared mixture biase towards the front cylinders because of
the plenum chamber design... and various other issues.  The TR6 was also
sold, mainly so I could acquire a project which would allow more a more
advantageous supercharger installation (mostly allowing for the use of the
TR6 PI manifolds and plenum, and allowing for the incorporation of an
intercooler).  I think it will be interesting to see the differences in
results from Lee's car and mine.

BTW, I highly advocate Hans' Pedersen's MGA/MGB supercharger kit if you're
considering it.  The workmanship is incredibile just from the photos, and
the Opcon Autorotor is an impressive supercharger... in terms of efficiency
(more so than a turbo, but about twice as expensive and they can't be found
in the junkyards like Garrett T03s can be for $50).

Whether you're considering supercharging or turbocharging, it is vital that
your engine be of good running order and your driveline up to the extra
output.  The inclusion of forced induction in your motor, won't hurt it...
if no adverse wear exists to begin with.  Of course, running insane levels
of boost will destroy your engine.  But 6-9psi will not be harmful.
(remember the wise words of LJK Setright on this subject "...it is
detonation and preignition which kills motors, not boost...")

Okay, since I'm probably one of the people most interested in forced
induction I'll stop clogging the content flow of the list up with my
statements on the subject.

Kai

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list