Re: HIF4 questions

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <egmakris@otenet.gr>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HIF4 questions
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 19:34:47 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Evangelos G. Makris <egmakris@otenet.gr>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 7:10 AM
Subject: HIF4 questions

> My 73 BGT has twin manual choke HIF4 carburettors.
> Could you please help me with the following:
>
> a. How can I actually  locate the "air bleed", as shown in the green
> Haynes MGB manual, on page 80, figure 3.20, item #7?

It *looks* like it may exit into the float chamber.

> b. Is the "bypass idle system" to blame for the idle speed not going low
> enough with the engine *hot* (same book & page, figure 3.21)? When the
> engine is cold it can idle at a nice 500 rpm, but when hot it goes up to
> 800-850 rpm, rather annoying.

Possibly, but the poppet valves in the throttle plates usually cause this
problem.  Mine gave trouble (1500rpm idle in a V8) during warmup after a
frosty night until I soldered them shut.

> c. What is the best choke/throttle combination to start a cold engine
> with HIF4's?

My factory V8 needs max choke for a cold start winter or summer, then a very
gradual reduction as it warms up.  The roadster (HSs) gets max choke for
starting then immediately down to half choke.  No throttle on either, it
isn't needed if the fast-idle (and every other) adjustment is correct.

PaulH.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///