Re: New Member Questions

To: miket_nyc@juno.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Member Questions
From: MGTD1952@cs.com
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 06:01:04 EST
In a message dated 10/29/01 11:27:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
miket_nyc@juno.com writes:

> Can
> anyone suggest books, workshop manuals, etc., that I ought to get?

There are numerous great books on MG's and the various models, but if this is
going to be your primary set of wheels, IMHO you're pretty much going to be
limited to the MGB, MGB GT, or the MG Midget.  The difference is that the B
(or Tourer) is the two seat convertible roadster and the GT is a hatchback
coupe (and the better looking of the two!) while the Midget is a smaller 2
seat convertible.

My reasoning here is that an MGA (the B's predecessor) and any of the older,
square rigged T series cars will not survive well in NYC driving.  I've seen
plenty of B's around Manhattan, however.

For general info, check out www.mgcars.org.  For books, there are a couple of
great ones:  Anders Ditlev Clausager's "ORIGINAL MGB"; David Knowles' "MGB";
Lindsay Porter's "MGB PURCHASE AND RESTORATION GUIDE" to name a few.  There
is also a book called "THE MG BUYER"S GUIDE" which gives a nice description
of the entire marque line, even though some of the model specific facts and
figures are a bit off.

The biggest thing in buying a B (assuming that't where you focus) is to get a
rust free example.  Many people will tell you that Northeast cars should be
avoided, but that is NOT true.  I purchased my 68 BGT from a gentleman right
in Manhattan, who lived over on the lower east side.  He purchased it a
couple of years earlier from California, and it is a completely original (as
far as sheetmetal goes) speciman.  He garaged the car, and took it out about
every other weekend to run to the shore, mountains, wherever.  Much will
depend on how the car was treated vis-a-vis winter and roadsalt, and general
maintanence regarding cleaning out the muck that can accumulate in various
nooks and crannies.

As far as what is the most desirable B, you will get a multitude of opinions
here.  I favor the Chrome Bumper (CB) models, while others lean to the Rubber
Bumper RB; from 74 1/2 to 1980).  For the CB, some favor the 67 and earlier
metal dash, others the 68-70 "Abingdon Pillow" dash, and others the 71 - 74
"convential" dash with glovebox.

For RB cars, many prefer the 76 and earlier, as pollution control had not yet
strangled the beast, while 1980's Limited Edition model (mostly a "styling"
package, not performance package) is also attractive.

I'll let others speak to the virtues of the Midget, as I really don't know
the car as well. Good look as you search out your MG, and keep the questions
coming.

Steve in NJ

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list