New Member Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New Member Questions
From: Michael Taglieri <miket_nyc@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 02:22:33 -0500
I know very little about British cars, but I'm involved in the British
motorcycle scene and have owned a Norton Commando for many years, so I'm
pretty familiar with the quirks of British engineering and Lucas
electrics.  I joined this list because I'm thinking about getting an MG,
which seems like a practical English sports car to own and work on and
also, like the Norton, seems to have pretty good parts availability.

I live in New York City and haven't owned a car for years, so an MG I
bought would be my only car, and would have to be a reliable driver for
various trips, although I probably wouldn't be putting more than a few
thousand miles per year on it.

At this point, I'd like to learn more about various models available in
terms of performance, repair, reliability, and parts availability.  Can
anyone suggest books, workshop manuals, etc., that I ought to get?  Also,
among British motorcycles, there are certain years when the factories
were having reliability problems and others that are recommended, so I'd
like to learn about these before I buy a car and not after.

Finally, you generally don't have to worry about rust with motorcycles,
but are there certain areas of the country where you should NOT buy an MG
because of road-salting, etc.?

Mike Taglieri - miket_nyc@juno.com