MG disaster...

To: "'MG Mail list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG disaster...
From: dennis <mg-dennis@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:37:31 -0800
Last night I went over to my friends that I had helped rebuild his 67 B
engine.  He has about 200 miles on it.  He had just but new K&N's on and
we where going to take it for a test drive.  Backing down his driveway
all of a sudden, BANG, It felt like he backed into something.  I jump
out and look.  Nothing around.  Humm..  I said I think it was the car
bottoming out.  Get back in and as he backs out a little further all of
a sudden we hear a loud scrunch, scrunch, clangy noise.  He immediately
shuts off the engine.  As I'm looking over the hood I could see a huge
pool and trail of coolant.  Looking in the engine compartment we see
bent fan blades and the radiator is just munched.  What had happened is
when he put his exhaust system on he used those generic u-bolt type
hangers you get at auto parts stores.  The ends of these u-bolts extend
down Maybe an inch and a half or so past the clamp.  One of them caught
the edge of the sidewalk where a tree root had raised it.  It was enough
to shove the fan into the radiator.

Dennis Cox
67 MGB

///