Alternator trouble

To: "mgs list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator trouble
From: "carter's alltel" <goutvols@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:39:01 -0600
Thanks to all who responded to my list about my 79' midget not starting.  As
almost all of you pointed out, you thought it was a bad alternator.  That too
was my guess & you were right.  Ok, that is easy enough.  I put a new one on 6
months ago, so it is still under warranty.  Now, why have I suddenly gone
through two alternators?  While looking for other problems I had the ignition
coil tested.  The local parts store told me it had 1.38 ohms and it was
supposed to be 3.0 to 4.0.   He also tried to sale me a new one that says do
not install with a resistor.  I told him I had a external resistor and he told
me I could bypass the resistor all together.  Is this something I should do?
If so how?  Right now I have a solid white wire from the electronic ignition
amplifier to the positive side of the coil, as well as a white wire from the
harness.  On the negative side is a white with black stripe from the EIA, and
on the bottom two white w/ black stripes from the harness.  Then the resistor
has a white w/ green stripe from the harness on the left with no wires
connected to the right.  It does have a black wire that is connected to the
bolt on the EIA, which I am assuming is the ground.  Does my coil need to be
replaced.  I just got the feeling that the guy at the parts store was as
clueless as I was and was just trying to make a sale.

Carter
79' midget
96' rover

///