Re: Retorqueing the Head

To: MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Retorqueing the Head
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 01:31:42 +1030
Ken Waringa wrote:

> I replaced the head on my 80 MGB about 65 miles ago now.  How many miles are
> recommended before I should retorque the head?  I am driving it over to
> Rendezvous 2001 in Tallahassee this weekend, which will put about 250 miles
> on it.  Should I retorque it before I go or will waiting until next week be
> ok.

Frankly, I reckon you should do the run first THEN re-torque the head if
it will only put 250 miles on it (on top of your current 65 miles).

I have just done my head (and tappets) again after a over a thousand
miles on my new (rebuilt) engine and with a general tidy up by my
mechanic before racing on Saturday she is going like a new one (well...
better than a new one). Put the foot to the floor and you realise what
you spent all that money on:-)

This is our last sprint for the year, a twilight meeting that sees us
running under lights - always fantastic and fun and different to the
rest of the year as you realise how you subconsciously use all sorts of
visual cues to get your line and braking points.  These cues disappear
or change dramatically under lights so it feels like you are driving a
different track.

Last year it was over 100 degrees for the daytime part of the meeting
(and frankly not all that much cooler at night) which made it one of the
few times I wouldn't have minded a roof to keep the sun from baking my
brain through my black helmet.  We don't have those dolly-girls who
stand there holding an umbrella over you to keep the sun off :-)

This year looks like great weather again, but no-where near as hot.
This means my car (and others) will not have to 'bail-out' early during
the day as our temperature guages climb into the red after a few laps.

This will be my last chance to achieve my target time and break my
previous personal best.  I will be pushing 'through' the limit (while
trying to remain ON the track and OUT of someone's rear end).

Give me that hot track and my sticky tires... and get out of my way!

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///