low and high beams

To: <BarnOwl@world.std.com>
Subject: low and high beams
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 21:46:26 -0800
 a rookie question.
> One day I had low and high beams at the flick
> of the switch on my 68 MGBGT, the next day 'only'
> low beams, I flick the switch-no high beams.
> 4 days later no parking lights/front.
> Everything worked fine a week ago.
> Where should I look first ?
>
> Dan
> 68 MGBGT

It was the hi/low beam switch on my car that did this also. I simply removed
the steering cowl and cleaned the contacts and lubed with vaseline. Good for
2 years so far!! Next time I would look at taking the switch in and having
the contacts gold plated for longevity. Should be around 20 bucks and last a
lot longer.

Alternately a relay can be added to handle the bulb current, which is
substantial. A 15 amp relay should cut the mustard.

Kind regards,

Tim Economu
1969 MGB/GT

///