mga engine replacement

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: mga engine replacement
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 20:52:41 -0500
> After reading all the advice given I am now inclined to get the car AND
keep
> the integrity of the vehicle based on the concensus regarding cost and
ease
> of completion.  Can anyone provide a relative cost-benefit list of
> improvements I can make given the stock motor?  My ideal endpoint is a
> regular driver with a little more oomph than I anticipate from the 1500.
> With this in mind should I begin with a 1600, or as one reader suggested
an
> mgb 1800?  Cam, downdrafts, etc.?

An option that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Supercharging.
I installed the kit from Hi-Flow in Australia on to my fairly stock
1800cc MGB engine - and am 110% happy with the results. I have the
lowest boost level available (7lbs) and even with this modest level,
the car flies. I can keep up with the best (worst ?) that  commuting
in New Jersey can offer. Acceleration is superbe (seat of the pants I would
estimate 9.5 secs 0-60), torque is phenomenal, no matter what gear, put your
foot down and you're up to 80mph without waiting for ever.

Advantages:
1 - a lot cheaper that a V8 conversion
2 - takes about 4 hours to install
3 - completely reversible
4 - Torque, torque, torque and more torque.
5 - You want more torque - just get a different pulley (upto 14lbs is
available)
Disadvantages:

1 - have not come across any yet

gerry