K&N air filters

To: mgs@us.ibm.com
Subject: K&N air filters
From: "James Laukaitis" <jim5@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 00:19:37 -0500
Hey all, need some help here.
     I recently saw two K&N air filters (tapered, Moss#222-985) for sale on
EBay. I am just looking into flow etc. On the K&N site it explains how to
get airflow for your car.
          http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#SELECT

Using 110 CID @ 5500 rpm, I came up with SA=29 sq. in. for the MGB. So
after some calcs I came up with this:
Filters:
1.75" tall (Moss#222-935, also K&N#56-1390): SA=32.3 sq. in.
 **even though this is close and if you say, Well, its not really 1 3/4"
filter size because of the seals etc., so subtract 1/4", you are a little
less than 29 sq. in., but thats ok because you are using two, correct?**
tapered filter (Moss#222-985): SA=39.8 sq. in.
2.5" tall (Moss#?, is it British only, I know APT#SD23-317 (offset) or
SD3-317 (centered)): SA=47.1 sq. in.

So the question is what so I get? Are the 1 3/4" rounds (pancakes, I think
they are affectionately referred to as) good enough? I assume so, that
seems to be the general weapon of choice. They definitely are the cheapest.
The average prices I have seen are:
1.75" - $30
tapered - $60
2.5" - $60
Can I get a consensus here? What have you got, is it adequate?
Thanks so much. At first those tapered started at $75 on EBay with a
reserve that was not met. The were put back on again for $99/pair. They
sold (not to me) for $112.50/pair. The owner said if I wanted he would sell
me a set at the same price. Is it worth it? It is definitely cheaper Then
getting the set at Moss, even with the discount they are giving these days.
Thing is if I can get a set of the round 1.75" for $60 and they are just as
good I would rather do that.

Jim Laukaitis
1967 BGT which is sucking air through a scary set of foam brick like dry
sponges that were once called air cleaners
email: jim5@us.ibm.com
karma - n. - the force produced by a person's actions in one of their lives
which influences what happens to them in their future lives

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///