Re: electrical problems

To: "carter's alltel" <goutvols@alltel.net>, "mgs list"
Subject: Re: electrical problems
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:13:21 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: carter's alltel <goutvols@alltel.net>
To: mgs list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 10:22 PM
Subject: electrical problems

> The little light next to the turn signal light is red in color.  It
> lights up when I start the car and then goes out.  Is this my ignition
warning
> light?

Yes.

> If so, I have noticed that It has a faint glow while driving.  It will
> pulsate with the turn signal when it is on.  Could this be a warning as to
> what is causing my alternator and battery troubles to continue?

This symptom is usually (but not exclusively) caused by bad diodes or other
problems in the alt.  From a strictly technical point of view it lights
because it has a diffierent voltage on each side whereas when running the
voltage should be the same both sides - about 14.5v at 5000 rpm.  Switch on
everything you can then measure the voltage on the brown and the
brown/yellow at the alt and the white at the ignition switch and let us
know.

PaulH.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list