re: electrical problems

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: electrical problems
From: "mghirsch" <mghirsch@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 19:02:35 -0600
Yes, the red light is your warning light for alternator output.  Normally if
the light glows dimly, one of the diodes in the alternator is faulty, but the
battery should still charge.  If this is a new (or just purchased rebuilt
alternator) the light should not glow at all.  It should light up on starting
and then go out.

When the light is out, and the engine is running, it indicates the alternator
is putting out juice.  Even if the battery draw is higher than the alternator
output, the light should not go on if the alternator is putting out power.

I would do a charging system diagnosis and go from there.  I had a VW Fox with
the same problem.  4 alternators in a year (fortunatley under warranty).   The
problem turned out to be a break in the insulation of the wire to the warning
light where it goes through the firewall.

Good Luck

Maynard Hirsch

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list