Re: Fitting the MGB four syncro OD gearbox into the MGA

To: bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fitting the MGB four syncro OD gearbox into the MGA
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 05:52:41 -0600
At 8:46 PM -0600 11/16/01, bullwinkle wrote:
>Greetings:
>
>Yesterday I got a snail mail letter asking about installing the
>late style MGB OD gearbox into an MGA.  I know the early three
>syncro can be done, but I know nothing about the later gearbox.
>I don't know what engine the requester has, but assume it to be
>an MGA engine as he didn't want to know how to put both the MGB
>engine and gearbox combination into the MGA.  Anybody have any
>information?  Email me direct unless you think others are
>interested.
>
>Blake

To do it with an A engine would be more difficult as it would require
turning the input shaft on the transmission to fit the smaller A
crank. If one is going to go that far you might as well use a 5 main
B engine. If it is a '74 on down the front mounts are the same.

There has to be some modification of the frame. The cross tube on
which the rear engine mount attaches has to be lowered one inch in
the center-if memory serves me mine is about 16" worth. The old rear
mount (the two ears) is no longer useable, and a new one must be
fabricated. I did market one, but do not presently, and would not for
less than a run of 10.  I believe there is someone in California who
sells one, but I do not know who it is.

You also have to use a B drive shaft, and you will need to install a
new center tube 2.25 inches longer than the original.

Many people use the fog light switch to power the overdrive so they
do not have to modify the dash. Others put a toggle switch, such as
the B uses, in the dash.

It really makes a nice package for travel in an A.

--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/

///