Re: wiring question

To: 1959 MGA <275GTB4@excite.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wiring question
From: barneymg@ntsource.com
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:58:50 -0600
At 09:14 AM 11/23/01 -0800, 1959 MGA <275GTB4@excite.com> wrote:
>.... 59 MGA ....
>
>1. what is the polarity of the headlamp plug, eg which is the ground, low
>beam and high beam ....

Right side up, the headlamp bulb connector looks like this from the back:
  __
|    |

Left side is common (ground).
Right side is high beam power.
Top terminal is low beam power.

If you are looking at the front face of the female connector:
Right side is common (ground).
Left side is high beam power.
Top terminal is low beam power.

>2.  The horn does not work.  I have 12 volts to the horn and the opposite
>side of the circuit sinks to ground when the button is pushed.  Where I
>come from that is called a circuit but it is an awfully quiet one.  The
>horn works when hooked to a 12V charger.

First use a volt meter or test lamp to be sure you have 12 volts on the
supply wire connector at the horn.  Then use an ohm meter or test lamp to
be sure you get a ground connection on the other wire when the horn button
is pressed.

If you have both of these things the horn will work.  If not, you are
mistaken in your statements.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg