exhaust leak

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: exhaust leak
From: "Phillip Farmer" <pilot@ccc-cable.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:35:12 -0600
I finally finished rebuilding rear end.  New thrust washers in diff, all new
bushings, etc.  Much better ride with rebuilt front - no clunks (did it 1st)
and not rear end clunk.  Still have to get tires rebalanced.

While redoing the front I also rebuilt the carb and replaced all gaskets on
the exhaust side of the engine, including the tappet covers.

However - my problem.  I had been running the car in carport while doing
tune ups and the rebuild.  No problems, but after I took the car for about a
5 mile run to check rear end work, it had blown out about 1/2 the gasket
between the exhaust manifold and he catalytic converter.  I had coated the
gasket (from Moss) on both sides with copper spray.  New studs and bolts
when I put it back together.

Any thoughts on possible cause and tips on doing it again?

thanks,

Phil Farmer

1980 MGB
1975 Cherokee 140 Cruiser