Re: exhaust leak

To: <pilot@ccc-cable.net>, "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: exhaust leak
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:41:29 -0800
Sorry, I interpreted your original note to mean that the gasket between the
head and the manifold blew.

If the gasket between the manifold and the cat blew, that usually suggests
that either there is some warpage present there, or the nuts were not done
up tight enough, or the wrong gasket was used, or - perhaps more likely than
the last two - your carb mixture is so rich the cat is getting red hot after
running for some time that the gasket is getting burned away. I have seen
cats get so hot they are almost translucent, when the choke on a Z-S carb is
malfunctioning.

Lawrie