Re: Virus, an explanation from Dan Furbish

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Virus, an explanation from Dan Furbish
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:08:13 -0600
This letter is going to other unknown recipients.

FWIW:

I just received a notice that my ISP has blocked the "Badtrans" virus
again.  This time it had a return address of my church's computer,
ply-cong@XXXXXXX.  Our minister has been gone and I just checked with the
secretary to see if she's used the email.  She hadn't, so the last time
email was checked was when I did it last Sunday morning.  I also know that
the church's computer isn't infected because it has been online only the one
time in the last 12 days.

So, sending out a notification to the "sender" of the virus won't work.  The
infected computer is not the one with the return address.

The infected computer is one which has unread email.  The virus is using the
return address of the one of the messages in the mail and not the address of
the infected computer.

So if any of you get mail from or send it to ply-cong@XXXXXXX check out your
system.

Blake