Fw: Virus, an explanation from Dan Furbish- long--

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Virus, an explanation from Dan Furbish- long--
From: "Dan Furbish" <BarnOwl@world.std.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:21:59 -0500
Very interesting,
Thanx Bullwinkle/ Blake.

Dan
68 MGBGT
This is part of what I wrote to Paul Hunt, who
has helped me deal with this Huge aggravating Virus
problem .

Hi Paul,
the IT tech's that cleaned my computer made me think
everything is ok now with MY computer.
I "totally" appreciate posts from Max, Eric, Bullwinkle
Michael, Andy, you etc, etc, that have been writing about the
W32Badtrans virus. It HAS helped me.
But, "I" DID NOT send any posts or messages directly  to
those folks.
My "COMPUTER" sent out these messages indiscriminately
using my computers email address book, it must have for some
reason chose the MG list more than other addresses.
WITHOUT MY knowledge.

Paul PLEASE write back to THE MG list with this copied,
so that I'll 'really' know if my computer is clean/ or not.
Thanx in Advance.(I've written to contacts here and everyone
concurs that it is indeed  clean).

I  very sorry for this Major inconvenience I've caused
everyone on the MG list (my computer just took over).
VERY SCARY !

I originally caught this virus by opening an attachment
sent to me by the Treasurer/a friend of a local MG club I
belong to. They've always been ok, it was minutes
from the last meeting we had, it must have been
imbedded in the text.
One thing I've changed per directions from the IT tech,
I have Enabled the Norton Anti-Virus 2000 Email Protection,
on my Microsoft Outlook  system.

**You go to Norton Anti Virus-"System Status" screen, there
are 4 categories on the top tool  bar, 1 says OPTIONS-
click on it, then click on Email Protection,
then select the Enable Email Protection option by
putting a check mark in the box.
This scans EVERY Email coming in to the computer.
Also in parenthetic it says (recommended), for some
unknown reason mine was disabled.(it is a little more
time consuming downloading messages).
And by all means Update your Virus Definitions OFTEN,
I use Symantec.
The IT techs talked me though an easy fix, but I have to say
it was All new to me.I learned a LOT !

I am EXTREMELY sorry for any inconveniences I
caused anyone on the MG list!  and, thanks for you help !

Dan Furbish
still driving my 68 MGBGT on these
brisk Massachusetts weekends when I can.