Re: Chicken

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chicken
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 02:41:51 +1030
Aeseeyou@aol.com wrote:

> Oh, by the way is it true that Australia is so beautiful it can
> literally take your breathe away with its sweeping panoramas that just boggle
> the senses with their heady banquet of color, sights and sounds.

Don't listen to Dan - it sounds like the green-eyed monster has him by
the distributors.

Yes, I am often breathless here, but that may just be because I am so
unfit.  I am moderately travlled and loved the parts of California,
Illinois and Virginia I saw.  I also fell in love with the south of France,.

But... I have to say that Australia has such a huge variety of
landscapes that are often within easy reach of wherever you are.  They
can also be many, many miles away from wherever you are (it is a big
country with LOTS of miles of 'sweeping panoramas' to travel through -
and generally travel through with few traffic jams.

Apart from Sydney and Melbourne, you can generally get out of the city
and into rural vistas within half an hour's drive from the city centre.
An hour will find you in a country town or on an isolated stretch of
beach with little company.  I think the 'escape factor' is the beauty of
a country like ours and when you have a Little British Sportscar you
don't want to be stuck in traffic for hours while you are trying to get
to your favourite twisty bit of country road (that you can travel at
'safety fast' speed without having to hit the brakes every minute or so
to avaoid hitting the back end of a traffic jam or a driver who insists
on braking on the entrance to, through and out the other side of every
mild bend).

Of course, it is also year-round, top-down driving weather!  Ask me how
I know... I can't put the top up over the competition rollbar!

I am sure that everyone finds their own bit of paradise in their own
country/state/town - ours, however, generally clean air, less traffic
and better year-round weather than many other places on Earth :-)

In fact, ask Elle MacPherson... she just finished filming a series of
promo adverts for my old State of Western Australia.  And if Elle says
its so... it MUST be :-)

> I would love to visit there some day..being in love with the place ever since
>I read "The
> Thornbirds"  It would be a blast to go over and search for one of the lost
> D-types or possibly a pre-war MG or TR. Maybe you could show me 'n the Misses
> around a bit....

Hmmm, I think there are more LOST MGs in America than here.  You don't
find too many cars-in-barns-or-paddocks here unless they are old
Holdens... most of the old cars have old owners (and many of them belong
to my MG Car Club :-)

Yep, you are all invited to stay at my place here in Adelaide if you are
ever in this neck of the woods.

Just give me a day's notice or so to tidy up the guest room and feed the
cattle dog.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII