engine advice

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine advice
From: "richard rivenbark" <rrivenbark@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 22:00:16 -0500
OK listers I need a bit of advice.  The 69 MGC GT I bought a few months ago
came with a spare engine.  The engine currently in the car has spun a rod
bearing so I'm not driving it right now now.  As an added bonus it is the
original motor :) so I want to rebuilt it to factory specs.  I started tearing
down the spare yesterday.  This is where the advice part comes in:
The DPO has never actually seen the motor run.  I have completely
dissassembled the head and cleaned the carbon deposits.  I opened the bottom
end and checked the bearings.  Everything  looks great except for the rust
that is prevalent in the water passages.  I am going to have the head
hot-tanked.  Should I have the block Tanked as well?  I hate to completely
tear it apart to boil it when everything else looks fresh.  BTW I plan on oing
some mods to this engine, so take that into consideration as well.

TIA,
Tad R.
Orlando, FL
69 MGC GT