Enough already - was Re: shamenpaper - Now: You have the Sircam

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <eric@erickson.on.net>, <mgman@optonline.net>
Subject: Enough already - was Re: shamenpaper - Now: You have the Sircam
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 23:33:37 -0500
Eric said:
> Firstly by distributing themselves in many clever ways, like mailing this
message
out multiple times from David's computer.

Jerry's response:
That's what viruses do - when virus detection is not installed or not
installed properly AND when a person's computer is left running and
unattended.

Eric said:
>Secondly, by clogging up mailing lists and the Internet in general with
thousands
of messages telling the person they have a virus.

Jerry's response:
I haven't seen "thousands" - There may have been six or seven deserved

Eric said:
>I don't think David is silly - he will see the virus-laden message
(stripped of
virus attachment by the list-server) when he next reads his mail and this
list
and take appropriate action.

Jerry's response:
I'm sure that David is NOT silly. I DO know that he is a good list
participant. Negligent maybe though - for not having (proper) virus
protection and for either ignoring the responses to him and to the list or
by leaving his computer turned on and unattended - and therefore putting
other list members in harm's way. Are some of us in his address book or
elsewhere in his computer where the virus can find us????? Some of these
Damn viruses can even pick up e-mail addresses from elsewhere in the
computer where they may exist, such as the e-mail message body, html
documents, Word docs and so forth, NOT just from the address book!!!!

Eric said:
>It has been fine so far, but from now on let's consider him TOLD and not
continue
telling him (which is also really annoying for the infected one -

Jerry's response:
David HAS been told - but guess what? His computer is still cranking out the
Sircam virus. I've received three more now myself, now for a total of 8 in
approximately two and a half hours.

Please also see Larry Hoy's supportive list message on this subject - also
one of the respondent's to the Sircam virus being sent by David. Thanks
Larry!

Eric said:
> not bad enough that he has an embarrassing personal infection... but now
everyone is telling him
- PUBLICLY and privately).

Jerry's response:
EVERYBODY is NOT telling him. Just a few possibly directly affected people
that are rightly concerned. This is NOT a "personal" problem. This is a
"public" problem in that Sircam is a damaging COMMUNICABLE virus, that can
spread to every e-mail address in David's or anyone else's computer that may
receive it, putting us all at risk. Everybody on this list should be keenly
aware of this problem, no matter that the list strips attachments. The list
is NOT the only place that David's viruses are going to. I can assure you of
that.

I'm as avid a lister and MG'er as anyone - and don't like dealing with this
anymore than the next guy - AND, yes,  maybe this is not about MG's - but it
certainly IS very important info to the members of this list!

Eric's attitude on this is just the kind of thing that allows these viruses
to proliferate.

Eric - Get your head out of the sand! Bandwidth is NOT the ONLY concern.

I'm going to bed now. Happy New Year all - including Eric!

-Jerry Erbesfield
MIS Director
Prudential Georgia Realty
73 B Black Beauty roadster