RE: Connecting Rod Lengths

To: "'Kai M. Radicke'" <kmr@pil.net>, "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Connecting Rod Lengths
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 11:43:41 -0700
Kai, the C to C length of an MGB rod is 6.5", I think the twin cam is
the same (no math I looked it up in Haynes), the engine stroke is 3.5";
I think however, your barking up the wrong tree.  The bore and stroke
was determined by taxes not engineering.  There was a long and
convoluted tax formula that was applied to British engines.  The end
result was the smaller the bore, the less taxes were paid for any given
displacement.  That's why the British engines have a long stroke and
small bore.

FYI, this is called the "law of unintended consequences".

Now as far as your 1.6 rod length/stroke ratio being "ideal".  I'm not
certain that is the optimal ratio for performance.  As the rod length
increases, or the stroke decreases you change the geometric relationship
between the centerline of the crank, the centerline of the big end and
the centerline of the gudgeon pin.  Its my understanding that the
shorter the stroke, or the longer the rod, the more efficient the engine
becomes.

As an example.

If you take a long stick (rod) and attempt to push your car (piston)
with it you will naturally put one end of the stick in the center of the
car and you would stand as close to the center as you could when you
push. If you take the same stick and put one end in the center of the
car but you stand off to the side while you push, some of your effort
(energy) will be wasted in creating lateral forces.  So if you MUST
stand to the side, then you would choose to use the longest stick you
could find, and/or be as close to the center of the car as you could
(longer rod + shorter stroke = less effort).  I don't know if this is a
clear example but it's the best I could think of.

Me thinks you are trying to buy an Alfa or Porsche???  Hmm, as memory
serves me you did just announce you are driving a new VW didn't you? <g>

Happy new year.

Larry Hoy

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list