Re: Front Suspension

To: "Alford, James" <alfordj@hhmi.org>
Subject: Re: Front Suspension
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 13:20:27 -0600
"Alford, James" wrote:

> Happy New Year!
> I plan to rebuild the suspension on my 1975 MGB this winter and had a couple
> of questions.  1) What is a good check to determine if the swivel axels need
> rebuilt or replaced?  I know the bushings, etc. need replaced.

I'm interested in this too. That's the first thing when mine comes out.

> 2) The best source for complete rebuild kits?

There is a UK outfit on Ebay, that periodically has a bush/bolt kit that
looks pretty good. It includes the V-8 bushings, which is what I want
anyway.
I got a lockset and brake cable set for a good price and they got it
here in
about 10 days, around Christmas.

Usually, about the same time, they also have a rebuilt Kingpin/swivel
axil set
already put together and ready to go. I'm guessing (I'm kind of a Ebay
junkie,
haven't bought much, but I have a spreadsheet tracking prices) that
those 2
together would be about $200 including shipping. ($32 shipping for the
bolts/bushes)
and $59 for the kingpin/swivel). They gave me a deal on shipping when I
had 2
things together.

Last time it was offered, neither sold for $50 and $46. The reserve
didn't get
hit, because there was only one bid.

They're out of Nottingham (?), I think.

If I don't need the Swivel axil, I'll probably just go to Moss for $129,
I think.

There is also a kit out of Kansas City on Ebay that says it's a Major
Suspension
Kit (Kingpin, bushes, bolts, etc.), but it doesn't have as many parts as
the
Moss kit, and has a reserve of $100, so it doesn't seem like a good deal
to me.

> Thanks,
> Jim
> 1975 MGB (out of the pond and running good)

I got another smile from remembering that story. Glad it turned out.

Also, I have one blown shock (though I haven't tried refilling it). Does
anyone
know about what World Wide Auto in Madison charges for rebuilds?

Paul.
'77B sleeping in a barn.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155

///