Re: OT - Wireless Home Network

To: "Dan DiBiase" <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OT - Wireless Home Network
From: Steve Morris <MGA1500@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:46:26 -0500
On 1/6/02 12:34 PM, Dan DiBiase  <d_dibiase@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I apologize in advance re: this OT request - I'm looking for some good
>resources to learn about setting up a wireless home network. If anyone
>knows of good resources, or has personal experience, please contact me off
>list.

I've done the Macintosh with an Airport wireless/Ethernet network and DSL
on five computers here at home, if I can be of any help there.

>BTW, I find it interesting that there are so many people on this list
>involved with high technology that love our decidedly low-tech MG's... I
>wonder if it's because we secretly long for a simpler time?!

That's me in a nutshell. I work on CAD workstations all day and play
online all evening and always try out the latest toys. But if you look at
some of my other hobby pages, they almost always are older items.

For me it is the mechanical beauty of the machine or mechanism. "Back in
the ol' days" things were designed not only to work well, but to look
pleasing as well, no matter how simple the function. Take a look at the
old typewriters on the link below. Think those beveled glass, elegant
pinstriping, and foldaway keyboard (1920s laptop!) were needed to perform
the function? I collect old cameras, tools, guns, typewriters, printing
presses and more. Sorta like one of the sig files on here: "Still stuck
in the 50's." I've been tempted to go to a car show with the big press
camera on it's wooden tripod in the footwell propped against the rear
bulkhead with a "PRESS" card under the windscreen wiper. Just as period
as those with wicker picnic baskets strapped to the luggage rack.

I imagine a lot of us are similarly inclined. The MG is another elegantly
designed simple machine that is fun to tinker with,  but has the added
advantage that it is a LOT more fun to use after you are done tinkering.
(MG content)

http://my.en.com/~smorris/clique

(The typewriters and presses are on a link at the bottom)

Steve

Steve Morris     Avon, Ohio
1958 MGA 1500    Red/Black
NAMGAR #5987     BuckAyes Ohio Chapter