RE: GASOLINE IN OIL

To: "'Montgomery Morris'" <mmorris@nemr.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GASOLINE IN OIL
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 17:59:12 -0700
Monte, "clueless"? ... I don't think so, you've proven to be very
resourceful and ambitious.  Heck, the car runs that ought to point out
that you have some clue.

Your problem is likely related to the period of time the car sat.  The
fact the car sat so long has probably caused the gasoline which sat in
the carbs, to get gummy, and/or varnished.  The floats, and or the
needle valve  in the float bowls may not operating smoothly.  If the
float sticks down or the needle valve sticks open the fuel may find it's
way past the needle valve down the intake, past the engine valves,
around the sides of the pistons and into the oil.  This can happen as
fuel pressure is bleed off when you shut down the car, or while the key
is on and the engine isn't running.  The SU fuel pumps if it senses a
pressure drop, which of course will continue to happen if the key is on
and fuel is being pushed pasted the needle valve.

Remember all that new oil you just put into the engine? Junk.  Sorry to
break the bad news.

So beside changing the oil again you will need to at least clean up the
internals of the carbs.  The most reliable method is to disassemble
them, clean them up and reassemble them.  I have been told fuel
additives may do this also; although I have not found this to be very
effective method.

By the way, spraying junk down the carb throat will not clean up any
float bowl related problems.

Keep plugging away.

Larry Hoy

///