Re: LA International Auto Show

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LA International Auto Show
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:39:58 -0600
Aeseeyou@aol.com wrote:

> Hi,
> On Monday the 7th of January, 2002, I spent 7 hrs at the LA International
> Auto Show. Sorry no MG news other than they weren't there. In fact only
> Jaguar, Bently, Lotus, Land Rover and Aston-Martin were there representing
> Great Britain. Sadder yet is the fact that the new BMW Mini Cooper seemed to
> be the most popular car of the show. Why? I guess it's just that MINI "thing"
> People just love them, to no end! I actually found myself trying hard not to
> fall in Love with it myself. I think they'll be more popular than the new
> Beetle. Why..I still don't know other than they are a great enthusiasts car,
> and with their two tone paint jobs Harken back to another time. When
> Britainia ruled the small sporty car theater! To bad the profits that
> definately will really tumble into BMW's "poor outstreched hands" should
> through default also be availible at least in part to GB. just my thoughts,
> Albert Escalante

Are you all aware of BMW's really bad behavior toward the real
Minis? They have bullied, threatened and badgered a number of my
best friends in the UK and Canada for using the name "Mini" on their
business. One friend in Sheffield got a letter saying to stop using
the name "Mini" even though he had been in business for many years
without any problems with BMC, BMH and Rover Group. They demanded
that he remove the word from his sign, mail and advertising, AND
they demanded 12,000 UK Pounds for having used the name in the past.
His business is selling classic Mini parts and spares.

The great majority of Classic Mini enthusiasts have come to hate BMW
with real virulence; the common opinion is that this new thing may
be a nice car, but it damned sure isn't a Mini. It weighs 1000
pounds more than the real ones, it's damned near two feet longer and
it's underpowered compared to the power-to-weight of the original.
The nazis at BMW seem determined to use the reputation of the real
Mini, meanwhile doing everything they can to destroy that same
reputation and deny us the services of the people who have kept the
Marque alive.

http://www.thebmwfakemini.com/
http://www.bmwcrapbogusmini.com/
http://www.fuckthebmwmini.com/