Re: MINI (tm)

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MINI (tm)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:32:54 -0800
Thats really unfortunate, but at the same time I can sort of agree
that it's BMW's right to enforce their trademark... they could have
been a lot more tactful about it, though, certainly extorting money
for using it in the past is ridiculous.

While you say BMC, BMH and Rover Group didn't hassle shops for using
the name "Mini" I know for a fact that BMC, BMH and Rover Group DID
hassle shops that used the octagon logo or the word "MG" or "MGB" in
the name of the shop w/o a license.

So it seems to me like the Mini people have had a break for a long
time and now they're being hassled the same as everyone else...

Personally, I like the look of the new MINI (the interior is wild)
and I'm sure there will be a lot of aftermarket go-fast bits for
it very soon.  For a comprehensive comparison on the track get the
new issue of Grassroots Motorsports.

Skye
66 B

Word on the street is that Rocky Frisco said:
> Are you all aware of BMW's really bad behavior toward the real
> Minis? They have bullied, threatened and badgered a number of my
> best friends in the UK and Canada for using the name "Mini" on their
> business. One friend in Sheffield got a letter saying to stop using
> the name "Mini" even though he had been in business for many years
> without any problems with BMC, BMH and Rover Group. They demanded
> that he remove the word from his sign, mail and advertising, AND
> they demanded 12,000 UK Pounds for having used the name in the past.
> His business is selling classic Mini parts and spares.
>
> The great majority of Classic Mini enthusiasts have come to hate BMW
> with real virulence; the common opinion is that this new thing may
> be a nice car, but it damned sure isn't a Mini. It weighs 1000
> pounds more than the real ones, it's damned near two feet longer and
> it's underpowered compared to the power-to-weight of the original.
> The nazis at BMW seem determined to use the reputation of the real
> Mini, meanwhile doing everything they can to destroy that same
> reputation and deny us the services of the people who have kept the
> Marque alive.
>
> http://www.thebmwfakemini.com/
> http://www.bmwcrapbogusmini.com/
> http://www.fuckthebmwmini.com/