Great MG evening!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Great MG evening!
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:50:24 EST
Hi,
Last night our club held its January General meeting. And if it's any
indication of what's to come..we're going to have a Great Year!! Our guest
speaker was none other than the Prime Minister and Ambassador of the MG..Ken
Smith ( and his lovely wife, Barbie) Ken is one of the worlds leading
historians of the MGB and the factory at Adbingdon. As well as many other of
the marques produced by the MG Company. But, last nights wonderful history
lesson dealt with the last 5-10 yrs of the existence of the Adbingdon plant
and the cars that were produced there. Including the 2 last MGB's to come off
of the assembly line (if thats what you'd call it.) The last 2 were a Bronze
roadster and a Pewter MGB-GT. there were others that were built as kits and
assembled elsewhere but these that he had on film were the last 2 ever built
at the factory. In fact there were a whole group of very, very ardent
followers of the MG , and they were all there in the town of Adbingdon to
hold a wake as the last car rolled out of the factory. And the press had
assembled there as well. But just to show everyone  who were the ones that
really called the shots. The MG or BMC company big shots, executives or
whoever closed the darn plant 2 days early. So all that the very large and
very moody group of MG afficianados could do was drown their sorrows at one
of the many fine and historic Inns and pubs that were all around the MG
factory They probably drank a beer or two (!) at The Magic Midget and then
settled in and swapped all sorts of tales of lore and their love of the once
mighty little cars. Now all but dead ar far as the MG Company was concerned.
>From there, after closing the Factory, the MG/BMC higher-ups sold off
everything of value from within the sacred walls and buildings surrounding
the once lively little company. For many it was the only place they had ever
worked, and their fathers and grandfathers, too! Ken Smith then went on to
spread the word about the MG/MGB cars. He was the co-founder of one of the
largest MG enthusiasts groups in the entire world. At one car show they
gathered over 5000 MG's together and he shared these pictures with us as
well. Later Ken was hired by Moss Motors to help them build the company up to
the giant it is today. In fact, our club is very fortunate in having both Ken
and his prodigy, Kelvin Dodds, both as members our great club. Since retiring
as Moss Motors Car Show representative and their Ambassador of Good Will Ken
has gone on to start another great MG lovers magazine. This one is called The
North American Classic MG magazine. And I like it because it uses the very
best paper and design elements so that its a great table top magazine with
its large full page (8.5"X 11") size. The cover stock is especially nice, not
at all flimsy like some other car magazines. And the photography and
registration is the best, too! Order a subs--iption and you'll be helping to
promote the MG name and cause. And if your club ever wants to have a Great MG
Night at their meetings or special event, just give Ken a call and see if
he's availible. With his wonderful wealth of knowledge, and stockpile of
historic and nostalgic photos and great sense of humor  Ken will have you
either laughing your head off or at the edge of your chair poised for the
next word from Mr. MG, Ken Smith one of the nicest most charming individuals
anywhere who just happens to know (by being there, when it was all happening)
just about everything and everybody there is to know regarding the Magic
Octogon and is development and distribution worldwide! -=SAFETY FAST=- for
more info on Ken Smith write him @>>kensca@earthlink.net<< I don't have his
phone # but his snail mail address is: Ken Smith ~ PO Box 8645, Goleta, Ca.~
93117
I'll always remember his talk! Albert Escalante

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///