Re: Pertronix ignition and coil

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Subject: Re: Pertronix ignition and coil
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:27:21 -0600
paul.hunt1@virgin.net wrote:

> If you do have the Opus ('Opeless) system then you should already have a
> solid-state trigger (magnetic) in place of points, which is all the
> Pertronix is.

Ok, what you are saying here is, 1) why replace the same with the
same
and 2) the Opus is junk. So that's a little confusing. But, I
didn't want
to have the big Crane EI box addition. I'm also believing the
Pertronix
is going to be more dependable.

>               The Opus system needs the 6v (1.5ohm) coil and two ballasted
> supplies.  One was the loom ballast used on all rubber bumper MGBs and had a
> white (or white/brown) at the fuse-box end and a white/light-green at the
> coil end.  The other was a resistor for the electronics that had a
> white/blue to the distributor.  The distributor also had a full12v
> unballasted supply.

I pulled out my Bentley Manual to follow along. Yes, White from
fuse box
into the resistor and White/Light-green to + on the coil.

Also, on the white side of the resistor, 2 more whites come out,
one to
another resistor, which comes out White/Blue to the distributor
and another
white straight to the distributor. The other wire to the
distributor is
White/Black, and goes to the - on the coil and on to the Tach.
That all looks
good.

> If the Opus electronics have been disabled in some way, and you have points
> firing the coil directly, then you can replace the points with the
> Pertronix.

No, the Opus is running.

> With either points or Pertronix, to use a 12v (3 ohm) coil you must have a
> full 12v (white) to the coil +ve and not the ballasted 12v
> (white/light-green).  Again with both systems to use a 6v coil you must have
> a ballasted 12v on the coil +ve.

Ok, this is what I wanted. When I put the coil in I use the
White, and by-pass
the White/light-green. As to the resistor going into the
distributor, that may
or may not be used depending on the install instructions of the
Pertronix. I'm
guessing.

> You really should determine exactly what you currently have, in the shape of
> 12v or 6v coil, ballast or no ballast, points or Opus trigger, and Opus
> electronics or not before you change anything.

Right. No points, stock coil (I'm sure it is). Of course, it's
put away, I can't
even look at it.

So I scanned in the wiring diagram, and I'm going to color it in.
I see that
Skye has that already, but just for the '75, I'm doing the '76
and '77 supplement.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155

///