Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug

To: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug
From: Dan Hackney <dhh2c@cms.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:36:00 -0500
Max,

-------------------
> Did you replace this one yourself recently? Once they've been in
there a
> while they don't usually come loose.

The engine was built up by my trusted mechanic.  The freeze plug has
been in place a few months, but the engine was just recently started
for the first time in the past 2 weeks.

> I would get a new one -- the old one is probably distorted by now.
Don't use
> any sealant on the freeze plug -- the whole idea is that the metal-
to-metal
> contact "locks" it into place. If the hole in the block is
particularly
> corroded and rough around the edges, I suppose there might be a
problem
> getting the plug to stay put, because if you remove too much metal
cleaning
> it up the plug won't fit tight. If there is a small scratch or
chink you
> could fill it with the hard-setting gasket goo, but the plug itself
needs to
> be a tight fit.

Since this one is not very old, I'll try and reuse it first.  When it
came out there was definitely some black sealant around the edge, so
my mechanic put that there for some reason.  I'm sure he has one, he
said back in his big engine rebuild days he did 30 b-series engines
per year.

> I saw your other question, about the radiator pressure cap... I
don't know
> what the spec is for a '72, but it's hard to believe 14 lbs. would
be enough
> to blow the plug. But the cap could be faulty (becoming effectively
an
> infinite-lb cap), so I'd replace it, with one of the original
rating.

Will do.

-Dan

///