Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug

To: Dave Wood <dwood143@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug
From: Dan Hackney <dhh2c@cms.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:42:59 -0500
Dave,

>As to your 14 lb radiator cap, I was told by a radiator
> shop that I should put a lower pressure cap on an older engine
(radiator) so
> that I wouldn't blow out the radiator.

I had the radiator recored and pressure tested, so hopefully this
won't be a problem.  A new cap is cheap though so why not replace.

>He says "If the oil pressure union in
> the block has been disturbed, replace it with a fresh copper
washer."  If it
> is leaking from the connection in the block, that may be your
problem.

I used new washers.  One side note though:  One time i was replacing
the fuel filter on my xj6 and i could not get the damn thing to
seal.  The Jaguar list suggested "annealing" the washer.  Basically,
heat it up with a torch and cool it quickly to make it soft again.
Worked like a charm.

  He
> also mentions that a single spanner approach when connecting to the
cooler
> should be assisted with a second spanner on the hex nut that the
hose
> connects too.  I quote "you have to tighten it up really hard".
What that
> means is best left to your interpretation.  > Lots of luck,

Well then, I'll try a bit more force.

Thanks.

> Dave 72 B

-Dan