Re: Interesting Conversion (now cosworth)

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Interesting Conversion (now cosworth)
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:11:45 -0500
>That is awe-inspiring....
>I've never heard of the Cosworth engine.  Did it ever come to North
>America?  What cars could it be found in?

Cosworth - probably the most famous name in racing, at least in F1.
Produced the DFV V8 engine, which went on to become the most winning
engine in F1, and took lots of drivers to F1 World Championships.

Started by Costin and Duckworth, and began a long association with Ford.
Produced the famous BDA engine which was dropped into the MkI and MkII
Escorts, which took Ford to many World Rally Championship. 230bhp (reliable)
from a 1.8/2.0L engine in 1972 (?) and could have > 300bhp.

Then developed this engine for the Escort MkiV & Sierra (AWD, Turbo - toms
of horsepower and veeeery fast).

Worked with Mercedes to produce the 190 16V engine.
Worked with Opel to produce one of the fastest 4-door sedans ever (175mph?)
(Known as the Cadillac Catera in the USA)

Not sure what they are doing now, but I though I read somewhere that the
Ilmor
engines used by Mercedes in F1, is actually developed by Cosworth - could be

wrong.

Lots of great history - pity they didn't work with BMC/BL, we may have had a
Twin-Cam
MGB or TR7

gerry

///