Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug

To: rock@rocky-frisco.com
Subject: Re: update: leaky mgb & coolant plug
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 08:24:30 -0500
Rocky,
  Lawrie is just pulling my leg about my being here in frosty CT while he
is enjoying perpetual warmth in sunny CA. He can drive to the ocean for
salt water and sand. I can just drive down the street and get not only a
load of salt on the car but a load of sand as well.
  Quarrying was a large business in this area at one time. In the
seventeenth and eighteen centuries, large stone was split off by drilling
holes, filling holes with water, then letting winter's freeze do the rest
of the job.
  Books about metal casting often have a section on making hollows, and
the access holes that then are plugged. Interesting to read, and I would
like to get into a core shop to see patterns and cores being made.
Lindsay Publications has a catalogue of books on casting techniques, as
well as many others on steam and early gasoline engines.
Bob