Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 22:33:32 -0600
>With your recommendation, you have a car with less performance than a stock
>MGA. With all due respect, that is NOT a direction in which I am interested
>in heading!
>
>Bill

Bill, That is NOT TRUE.  The modifications I have done to my car make
it a great deal faster than a stock MGA. I know for two reasons:

1. I drive my car now. I also drove it before the conversion. I now
get 0-60 in a little over 9 seconds. This is far faster than a stock
MGA.

2. I know it is faster than any other MG in our club, with the
exception of a friend's V-8 Conversion.

The path I have taken did not originate with me. However, I had to
try it both ways to be certain it works as I was told. It does.

I will defer to you on Twin Cams and on Hot Rod Fiereos. But in this
case, what you suggest makes a slower car that is not able to
optimally use the additional power present in the 1800 engine. These
are not new ideas. They are, like all solutions to automotive design,
a compromise. However, they reflect the compromises experience shows
makes the car that works best in all situations.  You may choose to
disagree, but don't say too much until you have tried it both ways.
--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/

///