Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:06:43 -0800
Whew! I can't resist inserting a comment here (though it might be more
prudent to wait until the smoke clears).

Insofar as terminal speed is concerned, that is hardly an issue on the
street, IMO. There are few opportunities to exceed 70mph by very much in
most parts of the US (or at least the populated part, where most people
live, by definition). In an MGB with the 4-syncro tranny, under
acceleration, you don't shift into 4th until around 60mph. That doesn't
leave a lot of room for "terminal speed" to come into play. So for practical
purposes, given the same power, a higher numeric ("lower") rear axle ratio
is going to get you up to your maximum legal velocity more quickly.

Now, in an MGA conversion, if you don't use an OD tranny, I can see the
logic of using the MGB 3.9 rear with the MGB motor to get MGB-like
performance, using torque to make up for the taller ratio, although this
probably isn't significantly different from MGA Mk. II performance. But if
you add OD to the mix, then I think you would definitely want the 4.1 or
4.3, or even 4.55, rear, to get the best of both worlds -- better
acceleration while retaining a tolerable cruise and decent mileage. Either
way, an MGA isn't going to exceed 100mph at top end by very much (if any),
due to aerodynamic shortcomings. And more importantly, the perception of
usable power is enhanced by quicker acceleration through the gears; and
responsiveness in the lower gears through the "twisties" would seem more
appropriate to the character of an MGA than freeway cruising "comfort"
(dubious at best due to wind buffeting, noise, general lack of coddling).
But your driving needs and preferences may vary...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///