Re: parts cleaner

To: James Laukaitis <jim5@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: parts cleaner
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:32:43 -0600
Jim:

For many years we used a deep pan on the work bench filled with
kerosene, diesel fuel, or home heating oil.  (Before we knew better we
used gasoline, but it is very hazardous.)  The best pan I found for that
purpose was a metal oil draining pan which can be bought at auto stores
along with a parts cleaning brush.  Metal ones are probably harder to
find, so plastic might just be as good and non sparking.  You could also
just use an old rectangular cake pan which we did before we got the
larger drain pan.  If you want to soak the items before, a coffee can
works or a one gallon paint can with lid is even better to contain the
fumes.  A auto or home paint store would probably sell you a clean can.

After using the cleaner, save it by pouring it into a old gas can, or if
it's less than a gallon, into a covered paint can.  When pouring the
fluid off, let it set so the solids settle.

The drainings or sediment in the bottom can be disposed of anywhere they
take used car oil  and the cleaning pan washed with soap and water.
Simple Green is very good for that purpose.

After cleaning with kerosene, dry the parts with compressed air or a
towel.  If the parts are non ferrous, you can wash them again in soap
and water to remove the remnants of the kerosene.  You might want to do
a second cleaning with clean kerosene after the first cleaning and
before the soap and water wash if the parts are real dirty.

Another alternative (more expensive and stinky) is to buy a one gallon
can of carb cleaner.  Quite often these come with a parts basket or one
is available separately.  The parts are allowed to soak for while.  Many
of the these cleaners are water soluble so the final cleaning can be
done with soap and water, or a kerosene wash, then soap and water.

I used the above processes for 30 years and until eight years ago before
I could afford a parts cleaning tank.  I also still use the pan when the
item is too big for my small tank, cleaning off wheel spindles on the
front of a car, when I need to do the cleaning elsewhere.

Blake

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///