Re: The MGA, an aerodynamic wonder...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The MGA, an aerodynamic wonder...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:10:51 -0800
Albert, no one would accuse the MGA of "aerodynamic shortcomings" compared
to a T-series (come to think of it, no one would accuse a brick of
aerodynamic shortcomings compared to a T-series). Give us some credit for
basic intelligence. I was merely implying that it had aerodynamic
"shortcomings" vs. the theoretical perfectly streamlined object; i.e. top
speed was limited by available power to overcome drag, not by gearing (as is
true for almost any vehicle).

I think perhaps my mistake was using the term "shortcomings" -- that seems
to be a loaded word. What if I change it to "properties", like this:

"...an MGA isn't going to exceed 100mph at top end by very much (if any),
due to [its] aerodynamic [properties]."

...or: "...due to [lack of power to overcome wind resistance]."

Is that better?

cheers,
Max

PS Thanks for the pointer to an interesting site.

on 1/17/02 1:02 PM, Aeseeyou@aol.com at Aeseeyou@aol.com wrote:

> Eric,
> I really don't understand why Max Heim would write something so silly as(see
> Below)
>
>>> Max Heim wrote:
>>
>>> Either way, an MGA isn't going to exceed 100mph at top end by very much
> (if
>>> any),
>>> due to aerodynamic shortcomings...
>
> Aerodynamic Shortcoming.?
> Being that the MGA is almost a complete duplicatation or replication of the
> incredible EX-175 MG-LeMans car built by Syd Enever...that led to the record
> smashing EX-179 the car that at one time held almost100 International and
> World speed records. The EX-175 was a study in aerodynamic design, especially
> evident when compared to the MG-TC's/TD's and even the MG-TF's the cars MG
> was producing at the time. Even \`1though the EX-175 was conceived in 1951
> and built in 1952. But read more about it yourself just go to:>>
> http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgccmga/nonframe/booklet.htm<< Its a great littlle
> read called  simply "Bookle. Again back to the aerodynamics, just  compare
> the angular squared off, stagnant lines of the "T" series cars with the
> smoother curved lines of the EX-175 inspired MGA...Cheerio!
> Albert Escalante,1978 MGB
>
> (ps Hows the Bushfire, still putting everything "on the barby"? )

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///