Re: Lumenition Distributors

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lumenition Distributors
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:10:43 -0800
Interesting... are you sure it wasn't just the new distributor cap? It
always seemed to me that the water issue wasn't with the point gap (though
it's not inconceivable), but with the rotor-to-cap connection. Though it
could also be general grounding/shorting through the base, which the
enclosed-in-insulating-plastic nature of the optical pickup might very well
improve.

One reason I was dubious is that I have had an optical system in my B for
many years (Allison, I think), and I can think of two occasions on which it
failed to start after a prolonged period of idleness in damp conditions.
Both were fixed by a new rotor and cap.

At any rate, the point about the wonky ground wire was right on; those are
frequently almost completely severed, like Nearly Headless Nick. But I think
my system still requires the ground wire, so that issue exists regardless.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///