Re: Lumenition Distributors

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lumenition Distributors
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:06:28 -0600
Max Heim wrote:

> Interesting... are you sure it wasn't just the new distributor cap? It
> always seemed to me that the water issue wasn't with the point gap (though
> it's not inconceivable), but with the rotor-to-cap connection. Though it
> could also be general grounding/shorting through the base, which the
> enclosed-in-insulating-plastic nature of the optical pickup might very well

Using the same old cap and wires and plugs with the Luminition
set-up.

> One reason I was dubious is that I have had an optical system in my B for
> many years (Allison, I think), and I can think of two occasions on which it
> failed to start after a prolonged period of idleness in damp conditions.
> Both were fixed by a new rotor and cap.

I don't know enough about the operating differences to guess why the
Luminition so often cures the wetness problem. I was quite
surprised, frankly, since it goes against my knowledge and
expectations. It might have something to do with the waveform of the
HV pulse or some other arcane and esoteric side-issue. I found my
Luminition module on an old B that had been rotting in a field for
years. I bought the rest of the installation from a dealer in the
UK. It was easy to install and time and it has worked perfectly ever
since.

> At any rate, the point about the wonky ground wire was right on; those are
> frequently almost completely severed, like Nearly Headless Nick. But I think
> my system still requires the ground wire, so that issue exists regardless.

Mmm, I think mine does too. I guess there's a chance sometimes these
things get fixed accidentally by reverse-Murphy.    :)

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm