Re: MGs could've been taken over by Aston-Martin

To: <Aeseeyou@aol.com>
Subject: Re: MGs could've been taken over by Aston-Martin
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:34:00 -0500
> A little known anecdote to history is that in 1981-82 Aston-Martin
> built two  prototype MGs, supposedly to use as examples of just
> how great it would be for all concerned if BMC/British Leyland
> would allow Aston-Martin to continue to build the still very popular
> MG sports cars. Saddly it was not to be, and the two prototypes
> were then distroyed, I believe, unless someone knows
> differently.
> Albert Escalante  1978 MGB

Not so.

One prototype was produced, rather hastily, and the car still exists.  It
didn't even have a functional fuel filler cap until a few years ago.  It
exchanged hands twice about three years ago in the UK for a pretty
reasonable about of money.  It's best described as metallic russet brown,
with white alloy wheels, and a MGB GT windscreen grafted on.  A custom hood
was frame were created also, to allow for use with the taller windscreen.  I
believe the car had an O series engine as well.

David Knowles' books contain information on the car, it's appeared in all of
the major MG magazines and formerly on my website... archived copy of the
webpage is available at:

http://web.archive.org/web/19990128093430/www.pil.net/~mowogmg/raremgs.htm

I Toyota was also in was also asked to save the MGB, in a similar fashion as
how Honda's were rebadged Triumph's in the UK and sold until about the
mid-1980s.  (This could quite possibly be one of the reasons the Toyota deal
was never forseen, I can't imagine it being keen on Honda supplying a former
British Leyland marque with cars also).

Kai

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list