Re: Standard exhaust on an mgb.

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>, <gaveleer@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Standard exhaust on an mgb.
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:32:41 -0000
Hi, Steve,

Two things...

1. Best setup for me has been stainless steel studs (which may need to be
made) and brass nuts. If the joining faces are good, exhaust flange fittings
don't need to be ultra-tight.

2. With head to manifold and flange gaskets, I always apply a coat of grease
on assembling and finally tighten the fixings when the system is hot.

Good luck,

Dave Hill
'72 BGT + imminent ditto donor car.
York UK

> Steve,
>   The donut seals that came from Moss for the Falcon system leaked. I
> suspect, now that the problem has been solved, that the fault was with
> the studs, but the fix was easy.
>   NAPA donut seals are slightly larger (thicker)  and solved the problem
> for me.
>   What I believe is that the threads of the studs had deteriorated inside
> the nuts. The thicker donut allowed the nuts to grip on threads that were
> less rusty and larger in diameter.
>   Sometime I'll remove the manifold and confirm the theory, but meantime
> silence (comparitive silence) is golden.
> Bob
> '72 GT

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list